HIPAA Compliant Hosted Email
The increasing complexity of email implementation options and government security regulations, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), create unique challenges for the effective use of email by healthcare providers. As patients, partners and healthcare vendors rely more on email, healthcare organizations must consistently use email in a way that will ensure government mandated compliance.
If you or your organization is utilizing email to communicate patient health information, such as correspondence with patients, other physicians, or with Insurance carriers, HIPAA law requires the email be secure. Using free email service without proper encryption through providers like Gmail, Yahoo!, AOL, Comcast or AT&T is not HIPAA compliant.
Encrypted email from edgeMED provides a comprehensive encryption solution, at both the organization-level and user-level, to help you ensure your confidential communications are safe, secure, and comply with state and federal legislation.
WHO SHOULD ENCRYPT EMAIL?
Organizations in certain industries, such healthcare or financial services, have ethical, fiduciary, and regulatory duties to ensure that their clients’ personal information remains confidential. Encrypted email from edgeMED can help you comply with industry-specific privacy legislation, including:
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX)
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
- State-specific privacy laws (e.g. Michigan, Nevada and Washington)
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Choose to encrypt email at the organization level or user level, or choose both. Policy-based encrypted email easily encrypts emails based on company-wide rules and policies you set up and manage – all without disrupting day-to-day workflow.
- All email content and attachments automatically scanned to detect whether message warrants encryption before being sent (examples: emails with social security numbers or credit card numbers, patient information, and legal case information)
- Policies can be configured to encrypt and send, return to sender, or delete messages with insecure content
- Reduces human error, minimizes risk of security breaches
- No additional software or plug-ins required
HOW SECURE IS IT?
Our encrypted email solution is backed by a globally-recognized Certificate Authority:
- Standards-based technologies are used, such as Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), S/MIME, and X.509 certificates to establish confidentiality, message integrity, and user authentication
- Ensures the best commercially available encryption security for your messages
- All encrypted messages are digitally signed and can be validated to prove compliance as required
WHAT ATTACHMENTS ARE SUPPORTED?
edgeMED's secure email encrypts any MS Office document, .PDF file, image file, and almost any other popular file format.
WE CAN HELP
Organization are responsible for developing, implementing and managing their HIPAA complaint security policies. If ignored, and information breaches occur, there can be significant financial penalties.
edgeMED’s comprehensive hosted secure email solution is easy to implement, and most importantly, affordable. HIPAA compliance is not a choice or a nice-to-have - it’s the law. Evaluate your communications infrastructure and make the right decision before it’s too late.